Growing up as a teenager, you never think of taking care of your skin. But once you enter your 20’s, you begin to see the changes. The skin is an ecosystem and it demands to be treated with respect and care. It is a part of the larger environment and takes into account the interaction between the skin and its environment. Damage to the skin speeds up signs of aging. Sun exposure has a major role to play in wrinkles and age spots. The sun produces both visible and invisible rays from which we need protection. Even on cloudy days, the skin is exposed to these rays.
A lifetime of sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age spots and other skin problems — as well as an increase in the risk of skin cancer.
THE 5 MOST IMPORTANT TIPS FOR SKIN CARE ARE
- Protect yourself from the sun- The sun and its damaging rays are the biggest threat to the skin.
- Exfoliate Regularly – Exfoliating your skin once or twice a week is necessary. Massage the face in an upward direction because gravity is what causes the skin to wrinkle, sag and age.
- Manage Stress – For healthy skin, one must have a healthy state of mind. Stress can trigger acne break outs and other skin problems.
- Eat healthy - It is important to practice portion control. Most cases of bad skin come from what we eat; hence one should limit their intake of fatty foods and instead include lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins in the diet for healthy glowing skin.
- Do not smoke – Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles. It narrows the blood vessels in the outermost layer of the skin, which decreases blood flow. This depletes the oxygen and nutrients, which are important to the skin.
- Drink lots of water – Drinking ample amount of water is a definite way of achieving healthy skin and a healthier life. Adding a slice of lemon to your water works on your skin for the better.
- Treat your skin gently – It is important that the skin be treated gently. Hot water should be avoided and instead warm water should be used. Strong soaps shouldn’t be used but mild ones should be opted for. Pat dry after bathing to retain some moisture in the skin and always moisturize dry skin.
REGULAR SKIN CARE
- Use an exfoliator – Make sure that you are using an exfoliator to cleanse your skin, which makes your skin look smoother and more youthful.
- Use a cleanser – Make sure the cleanser that you use should have anti bacterial properties along with glycolic acid that keeps your skin radiant and healthy. It also moisturizes your skin and conditions it and protects your skin from harmful toxins.
- Use a toner – Toner removes any residual cleanser left on the skin. A toner is to be applied with a cotton ball, using a gentle upward stroke.
- Use a moisturizer – After the regular cleaning as mentioned above, make sure to use a moisturizer to prevent the skin from drying giving it the much needed and noticed glow.